As a patient you have certain rights. Understanding them will help us provide the best possible care. It is our responsibility to protect and defend your rights.
You have a right to:
- Be treated with dignity and respect
- Personal privacy
- Receive care in a safe environment
- Participate in the development and implementation of your plan of care
- Advance directives and to have them respected by our staff
- Identify a support person to be present with you for emotional support during your visit
- Designate a decision-maker of your choice
- Information about relevant SHC policies
- Information about and a copy of our Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- Be provided information in a way you can easily understand
- A language interpreter if needed (free service provided by our facility)
- Accommodation for disabilities and provision of needed assistance for communication or mobility issues
- Confidentiality of patient records
- Access your clinical records within a reasonable time frame
- Be free from all forms of abuse and harassment
- Be free from restraint or seclusion
- Refuse care from a health care staff member
- Request a consultation from another provider at any time
- All available information about possible research participation (only with your informed consent)
Your responsibilities as a patient include:
- Provide us full information about your health, medical history and insurance
- Provide us with your advance directive information
- Follow your recommended treatment plan and keep follow up appointments
- If required by your medical provider, have a responsible adult to transport you home from our facility and remain with you for the necessary time (as much as 24 hours)
- Know your medications, why you are taking them, and take them at your doctor’s directions
- Tell your health care provider about any pain you may have and if pain relief measures are effective
- Ask for clear explanations to help you make informed decisions
- Accept personal financial responsibility for any charges and call with any questions
- Follow SHC rules, consider the rights of others and treat them with respect
We hope you are pleased with the care you receive and encourage you to use one of the options below to provide positive feedback. However, if you experience a problem or have concerns, please inform one of our staff members. It is your right to express a concern or complaint and expect a prompt response.
All communications are guaranteed to be handled in a confidential manner. We assure you that no adverse reaction will occur as the result of any comments made. We value your opinions and use all comments — both positive and negative — to continuously improve our services.
Compliments, Complaints & Suggestions
There are several ways for you to inform us of your comments or concerns.
- To send us a comment about a recent experience, positive or negative or offer suggestions about the services we provide, please visit muhealth.org. Click the “Patients and Visitors” tab and select “Make a Comment.” Click the link for “Public Access.”
- Leave a suggestion in the Forms and Suggestions Box located in the SHC elevator lobby.
- If you wish to talk with someone in person, call 573-882-3466. You may also email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with the response to your concern, you also have the right to file an appeal through our grievance process. Contact Guest Relations at (573) 882-1053 for specific information about how to submit a grievance.
Address your correspondence to:
One Hospital Drive Columbia, MO 65212
University of Missouri Health Care and Student health Center prohibits discrimination based on race, color, national origin, ancestry, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, disability, protected veteran status, and any other status protected by applicable state or federal law.
If you feel your rights under the following policy have been violated, contact:
Office of Civil Rights and Title IX
202 Jesse Hall or 145 Hinkel (accessible entrance and parking for Hinkel Building)
rev. 10-3-19 eab