Main Yoga Items
4 Main Items to Keep in Mind When Doing Yoga
- Yoga is for everyone. No prior experience or flexibility is required
- Do your version of the posture. Listen to what your body needs and find your version of the pose. Feel free to explore your edges and also dial-it-back when needed for proper self-care.
- Be present. Listen to the wisdom of your body during that present moment on your mat. Be able to distinguish between a new sensations and pain. If you feel pain, come out of the pose, yoga should not hurt.
- Breathe. Breathe with the poses and during the flow. As you release each breath this give muscles the time the need to open up and release tension.
More Things to Know About Yoga
A few more things to know:
- Wear comfortable clothing that is non-restrictive.
- Remove your shoes at the door. We practice in our bare feet on a “sticky” mat. The sticky mat helps with stability and reduces the risk of injury from accidental slipping. Socks can be worn for warmth for some postures where risk of slipping is not an issue.
- Come to yoga practice with an empty stomach. (usually no food 2 hours prior). Water is ok during practice to stay hydrated.
- We encourage you to arrive 10-15 minutes before class to get your supplies organized and be ready for the class to start on time. If you're new to yoga, the teacher is there to help explain supplies and set up.
- A blanket and eye pillow can enhance your deep relaxation experience at the end of practice. You can purchase an eye pillow at any online yoga website. Another option is to use a washcloth, scarf or even a clean sock to achieve the same effect: quieting the mind.
- If you have health issues (illness, injury, or medical condition), notify your instructor before class. Not every pose is appropriate for everyone.
- Be kind and loving to yourself by accepting where you are. It is ok to come out of a pose before the teacher says to. The body will respond beautifully when you show it kindness, acceptance and love. Rest sometimes. Do what you can, with what you have, with where you are.
- No prior experience or flexibility is required. Yoga is for everyone.
- If you need to leave early, tell the instructor beforehand and exit before final relaxation.