Allow yourself time to pause and practice the following guided sitting and movement meditations.
Anxiety Workshop Exercises
(For mp3 files, left click to play, right click to save and download.)
- 4-2-4 Breathing Audio (in English) | (424 transcript in English)
This meditation helps you to learn how to concentrate on your breath. This practice allows you to slow down, which results in oxygen being more effectively brought into your lungs and body. By practicing deep breathing, you stimulate the parasympathetic nervous system which means you feel more rested and relaxed. (Audio: 3 minutes)
4-2-4 Breathing Audio (in Cantonese) | (424 transcript in Chinese)
4-2-4 Breathing Audio (in Mandarin) | (424 transcript in Chinese)
- Mindfulness of an Object Audio (in English) | (Mindfulness of an Object transcript in English)
This mindfulness practice has you focusing your attention on an external object. (Audio: 5 minutes)
- Mindfulness Body Awareness Audio (in English) | (Mindfulness Body Awareness transcript in English)
This mindfulness practice brings more aware to your thoughts, emotions, actions and physical sensations in the present moment.
(Audio: 12-13 minutes)
- Visualization Audio (in English) | (Visualization transcript in English)
This exercise asks you to go on an imaginary breach trip. This allows you to set your worries aside as you step
outside yourself and diffuse some of your stress. (Audio: 8 minutes)
- Progress Muscle Relaxation Audio (in English) | (Progress Muscle Relaxation transcript in English)
By tensing and relaxing your muscles in a purposeful manner, you active relaxation. This exercise allows you to learn the difference between being tense and relaxed because it’s not physically possible to be both states at the same time. (Audio: 12-13 minutes)
- Leaves on a Stream Audio (in English) | (Leaves on a Stream transcript in English)
Learn to observe your thoughts and emotions with this mindfulness practice.
Leaves on a Stream Audio (in Cantonese) | (Leaves on a Stream transcript in Chinese)
Leaves on a Stream Audio (in Mandarin) | (Leaves on a Stream transcript in Chinese)
Yoga Breathing Videos and Audios
(For mp3 files, left click to play, right click to save and download.)
3-Part Breath Video (9 minutes)
Ocean-Sounding Breath Video (7 minutes)
This breathing practice, known as Ujjayi (pronounced oo-jI-ee) in the yoga tradition, is also referred to as “victory breath”, victory over the busy mind. You will be guided to take slow, long, deep breaths while slightly constricting the muscles in the back of the throat. You will create a sound like the rising and falling of ocean waves. This technique allows you to hear the breath which gives the mind something to focus on and promotes a calming effect.Ocean-Sounding Breath mp3 (audio only, 7 minutes)
Alternate-Nostril Breathing Video (7 minutes)
This is also known as Nadi-Shodhana in the yoga tradition, a balancing breath. Benefits include calming the mind, releasing tension, and helping to balance the brain and body. Alternate Nostril Breathing mp3 (audio only, 7 minutes)
Wake up to Better Sleep Restorative Yoga Videos
Practice these restorative poses with props found at home (pillows & blankets) to help you release tension in the body, quiet the mind and allow you to get the rest you need.
Mountain Brook Pose Video
This pose counters the slumped sitting posture that many of us have when using electronic devices for long periods of time. It also helps open the chest, allowing a deeper breath.
Supported Belly-Down Twist Pose Video
This pose helps relieve stress and tension in the obliques and midsection of the torso. Holding a twist for several minutes in a relaxed state also aids in digestion.
Supported Child’s Pose Video
The benefits of this forward-bending posture is calming the nervous system and teaching back-body breathing, which allows the release of tight back muscles.
Supported Bound Angle Pose Video
This pose opens up the back, pelvic area and hips, and stretches the inner thighs while protecting the lower back with support. Promotes deep relaxation before bed.
Feet-on-a-Chair Pose Video
The benefits of this pose include calming the nervous system, restoring energy to tired legs and feet, and relaxing the lower back. This is especially beneficial for those who are on their feet for long periods of time.
Supported Cross-Legged Pose Video
The pose calms the nervous system and releases tension in the back muscles. The slight pressure on the forehead releases muscle tension on the front of the head where stress is often experienced.
Feet-up-the-Wall Pose Video
This pose has a calming effect on the nervous system and is good for helping circulate blood, reinvigorating tired legs and feet. Promotes deep relaxation before bed.
Mindful Meditations and Relaxation
(Left click to play, right click to save and download. All files are mp3 format.)
- MBSR Body Scan Meditation (Audio: 32 minutes) This guided meditation is an introduction to nourishing mindful awareness of the body. It focuses on falling awake rather than falling asleep using nonjudgmental, moment-to-moment attention to each part of the body. A powerful healing technique, when done consistently, has been shown to be a positive stress management practice; reducing stress, decreasing anxious feelings, enhancing ability to transition into sleep, improving quality of sleep and cultivating self-awareness of the body.
- MBSR Sitting Meditation (Audio: 42 minutes) This meditation is taught in the Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction course. The guided audio will allow you to cultivate present-moment focus starting with breath awareness. Moments of silence are provided for you to nurture your relationship with stillness.
- Body-Sensing Relaxation (Audio: 15 minutes) Part of iRest meditation based on the work of Dr. Richard Miller. Taking you through the body bringing awareness and relaxation to help you fully release stress.
- Loving-Kindness Meditation (Audios: 20 minutes) A meditation promoting the softening of the mind and heart, an opening to a deeper level of the feeling of kindness and compassion for others and yourself.
- Three-Minute Breathing Space (Audio: 3 minutes) A brief guided meditation focusing on the breath and body that can be used before tests, presentations or when you want to step out of the busy flow of life.
- Mindful Yoga Breathing (Audio: 8 minutes) Also known as the 3-part breath technique. This nourishing and calming breathing technique can be great to use when feeling stressed or anxious. A video titled “3-Part Breath” below demonstrates how to engage in this breathing practice.
- Happy Breath (Audio: 5 minutes) Also known as Nadi-Shodhana in the yoga tradition, or alternate-nostril breathing. Benefits include calming the mind, releasing tension, and helping to balance the brain and body. A video titled “Alternate-Nostril Breathing” below demonstrates how to engage in this breathing practice.
- Abdominal Breathing (Audio: 9 minutes) Another resource to practice the 3-part breath technique, using full lung capacity with long, slow, deep breathes that allow a release of tension in the body and stimulates the relaxation response in the brain. A video titled “3-Part Breath” below demonstrates how to engage in this breathing practice.
Additional meditation resources