What is a copay?
A copay is a payment charged by your insurance each time you have a health care visit. The copay is required by your insurance carrier so that you help share in the cost of your health care visit. The day of the visit you won’t know how much the total bill will be.
What about preventive visits? Why did I have to pay a co-pay?
You might have heard that for certain types of visits, there is no cost. For example, a well-woman visit. Before a preventive visit, you will still be asked for a co-pay.
There are three possible situations to explain this:
- Hidden co-payments: Some insurance companies charge a co-pay for a preventive visit, but the visit itself is covered.
- The preventive visit might become a problem-related visit: If you discuss symptoms of any acute or chronic condition with your health care provider that require evaluation or treatment during a preventive visit, it becomes a problem-related visit and you will get a bill.
- You will get the co-pay back: If your insurance requires no co-pay for preventive visits and the visit was coded as a preventive visit (instead of problem-related), your insurance will reimburse you later for the co-pay.
Why can’t I put my co-pay on my student account?
The University uses student accounts only for direct educational costs. This also prevents health care costs from interfering with your academic enrollment process.
What if I can’t pay my co-pay today? Will I still be seen by my provider?
Yes! If you don’t have cash, check, or credit card on the day of your visit your co-pay will be added to your final bill.
What if I don’t have insurance? Do I have to pay a co-pay?
No – you do not. If you have no insurance, we still want to see you and MU Health Care will bill you at the no insurance/self-pay rate. After you receive the bill, we’ll be happy to connect you with MU Health Care Customer Service for appropriate discounts and a payment plan.
Still have questions?
Here are 5 questions you can call and ask your insurance carrier (phone number on your insurance card):
- Is University of Missouri Health Care in my insurance network? (zip code 65212)
- If not, is there any other health facility in the Columbia area? (65201, 65202, 65203)
- Can I change my coverage area to include Columbia while my student is attending the University of Missouri?
- What will my student’s co-pay and deductible be at the University?
- What services are covered after my student meet their deductible?
For more information about billing, visit the MU Health Care Website.